Contact Us Youtube Facebook linkedin Twitter


·         Eligibility

Q. Who is Eligible to become a Credentialled Diabetes Educator?

A.  Registered Nurse (RN or Division One), Accredited Practising Dietitian, Registered Medical Practitioner, Registered Pharmacist, Podiatrist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Registered Physiotherapist.

·         ADEA Accredited Diabetes Education courses

Q. How do I choose between the different university courses available?

A. Speak to the Course coordinators at each university. All courses have some on campus components so you may want to consider associated costs and time away from work. All ADEA accredited courses have the same curriculum requirements and the same qualification as an outcome.

Q. Can I get Credit for any other post-graduate courses I have done?

A. Credit is most likely irrelevant but this needs to be discussed directly with each coordinator and fees may apply. All Universities enable recognition of prior learning (RPL) for previous studies using the standard rules of within the last 7 years, equitable academic level of study, and content equivalent to course existing content. Unfortunately there are not many other courses that equate to discrete units for RPL purposes, given the specialty nature of the Diabetes Education course.

·         Evidence

Q. Can someone just sign that I have attended all of my CPD activities.

A.  For initial credentialing evidence is required. This includes an attendance certificate, receipt, thankyou letter or email.

In the verification column: Enter what form of evidence is enclosed and appendix number for easy reference. For example conference receipt appendix A. For online credentialing in 2015, you will be able to upload evidence to your application.

·         Confirmation of hours worked in diabetes education

Q. Can my unit/nurse manager complete this form?

A. The pay office should supply, on an organisation letterhead, a record of hours worked within the previous four years. (Often the form has hours from commencement of service, so it needs to be limited to the 4 years required). 

Q. What if I work in Private Practice?

A. You will need to have record of patients/clients you have seen. De-identify the patients and utilise appointments schedules with time spent in diabetes education.

Q. Can I accrue hours before commencing the ADEA Accredited Course in Diabetes Education?

A. No.

Q. Can I use hours accrued on clinical placement during my Graduate Certificate course in Diabetes Education?

A. No.

·         Part time / Time Off

Q. Is there any consideration given to credentialled diabetes educators who work part-time being able to collect CPD points over a longer period of time?

A. No, you still need to meet all of the same criteria for credentialling / re-credentialling as full time workers.

Q. I am taking extended leave from my work place, for going overseas/maternity/sick leave, how does that affect my credentialling?

A. There is provision to consider 12 months leave. A letter outlining the claim needs to be included when submitting your re-credentialling application.

·         Mentoring

Q. Who can be a Mentor and how do I find one?

A. A Mentor needs to have been a CDE for more than 12 months. They can work with you, but they do not have to. Your Mentor must be registered with the ADEA by filling out and submitting the necessary paperwork. There is a list of registered Mentors on our website.

·         CPD Portfolio Guide

Q. I am regularly involved in group education sessions through my workplace. I am involved in group education sessions that run over 5 weeks 4 times a year. Can I use this work to claim points?

A. If these sessions are repetitive sessions offered as a normal part of your role and there is little evidence that you are developing them, they can only be claimed for the first time they are presented.

Q. I developed an education program for use while on Clinical Placement; can I use this as points?

A. Only if you can demonstrate that you actively undertook the development, and have not simply been an observer.

Q. I work in general practice as a diabetes educator, and need to refer to outside agencies for additional services such as podiatry. Can I claim points in category 2?

A. Yes.

·         Quality Improvement Projects

Q. What verification do I need for a QI activity?

A. If points are being claimed for a QI activity you will need to submit a summary of the project design, implementation result and recommendations with outcomes.


Frequently Asked Questions for the 2015 Credentialling Changes.

Overseas Qualified Diabetes Educator

Q. Am I able to become a Credentialled Diabetes Educator (CDE) in Australia?

A. Yes. To the ADEA submit:

1- Australian registration in one of the primary disciplines eligible for credentialling.

2- A CV outlining your previous work experience,

2- Details of any diabetes course you have completed (there are certain overseas courses that have been approved as being similar to Australian courses).

3- If these meet ADEA requirements then you can apply for initial credentialing which would be granted for 12 months initially, and you would be audited at the end of that 12 months and if you meet our mandatory professional development requirements you would subsequently be granted another year of CDE status.

Note:  If you haven’t done any course nor have any references pertaining to experience as a diabetes educator, then you will need to complete a mentoring partnership with a CDE in Australia focussing on managing diabetes in the Australian context and complete a case study and apply for initial credentialling as per anyone else. Again this would only grant credentialling for 12 months as above.